Team Shelby
TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2017 TS Vegas Bash, your input good or not so good, please post it here.

Now that the 2017 Team Shelby Vegas Bash is behind us but still fresh enough for you to have some thoughts to share with us, good or not so good. Also please share what activities you would like to see that we haven't done before.

Ok I'll start.

The good:

• variety of different activities especially for those who do not track.
  • the food although the track lunch was similar to the banquets, we might need to mix it up.
  • sneak peek of a Shelby vehicle Saturday night.
  • Honored guests attending especially the Shelby's and the Ford's

The not so good:

• ticket sales need to go on sale earlier
  • food & drink lines need expanding for quicker service

Future Activities:

• cars under the stars the first night in SAI's parking lot
  • SPP how to tech sessions at SAI
  • CSF auto-pen sessions

So now its your turn, please give us your input.

Steve

Steven

Good idea. It was my first Bash, so I have no idea how number 10 compared to numbers 1-9, but here's my initial thoughts

The Good

• The location. Small enough property (for Vegas), reasonably priced. Close enough to SA headquarters. Off the strip, etc...Close rooftop parking.
  • The activities were great, although for some reason I expected to see more vendors and/or technical demonstrations at some point. Not sure if this has been tried in the past
  • I really appreciated the hospitality of everyone at SAI that 'let me' back into the inner sanctum of the workshop for photos. Same could be said about the speakers and SAI staff (thanks Gary!) for their candidness and expanding my knowledge of the Shelby brand
  • The speediness of the registration was the best I've ever seen for such a big group. The swag bags are very nice

The wish-it-were-a-little-different

• I wish there were inclusive packages for non-track participants.
  • As mentioned, there were lines at every event, whether the bar or the buffet lines
  • Running out of food at the track sucked, as by the time the BBQ came out for the second group, the first group was gone and we never were able to catch up for the ride along the strip.
  • For those of us in the poker run who heard that someone 'won', none of us have no idea what they won, or if there was only one winner.
  • Kicking myself in the ass for not doing the scavenger hunt, as it looked like that was the most fun group. I won't make that mistake next year. I'm already training on a Big Wheel.
  • Some of the events and auctions were planned as fundraisers so it would be nice to know how much money was raised over the weekend.

The Bad should be the Food especially at the Track i.e. the cost didn't equal the quality especially the 2nd day. Track Lunch per day was $60 I think for Burgers, Chicken breast, Salad, a couple other and Soda this doesn't add up

The Bad - I ran into non Track people on the parking roof top and some had no idea what they were doing on Saturday and some were doing the Scavenger Hunt as the first 2 people I talked to didn't know anything about it. Need another activity

The Very Bad - Considering Spring Mountain is like 47 miles outside Las Vegas trying to eat and get there by 7.30 is a bit much. Not everyone is a Jackrabbitt

The Bad - If you know the exact number of how many people are registered specially Cars, how do you not come to the event with that number of packages?

I had fun regardless of anything but if you ask for what can be done to improve the next time... here you go

Steven

Good idea. It was my first Bash, so I have no idea how number 10 compared to numbers 1-9, but here's my initial thoughts

The Good

• The location. Small enough property (for Vegas), reasonably priced. Close enough to SA headquarters. Off the strip, etc...Close rooftop parking.
  • The activities were great, although for some reason 1) I expected to see more vendors and/or technical demonstrations at some point. Not sure if this has been tried in the past
  • I really appreciated the hospitality of everyone at SAI that 'let me' back into the inner sanctum of the workshop for photos. Same could be said about the speakers and SAI staff (thanks Gary!) for their candidness and expanding my knowledge of the Shelby brand
  • The speediness of the registration was the best I've ever seen for such a big group. The swag bags are very nice

• 2) I wish there were inclusive packages for non-track participants.
  • As mentioned, there were lines at every event, whether the bar or the buffet lines
  • 3) Running out of food at the track sucked, as by the time the BBQ came out for the second group, the first group was gone and we never were able to catch up for the ride along the strip.
  • For those of us in the poker run who heard that someone 'won', none of us have no idea what they won, or if there was only one winner.
  • Kicking myself in the ass for not doing the scavenger hunt, as it looked like that was the most fun group. I won't make that mistake next year. I'm already training on a Big Wheel.
  • 4) Some of the events and auctions were planned as fundraisers so it would be nice to know how much money was raised over the weekend.

1) The first Bash in 2008 we had vendors displaying their goods at the track. Something we should look into bringing back.

2) We've made great progress on that but can always do more. This is why I'm suggesting SPP tech/install sessions.

3) First I heard of this. Hasn't happened in the past so it must be related to the Poker run.

4) Yes perhaps we could produce some sort of end of Bash letter with that info along with a list of winners form the poker run, scav. hunt & car show.

The Bad should be the Food especially at the Track i.e. the cost didn't equal the quality especially the 2nd day. 1) Track Lunch per day was $60 I think for Burgers, Chicken breast, Salad, a couple other and Soda this doesn't add up

The Bad - I ran into non Track people on the parking roof top and some had no idea what they were doing on Saturday and some were doing the Scavenger Hunt as the first 2 people I talked to didn't know anything about it. Need another activity

The Very Bad - 2) Considering Spring Mountain is like 47 miles outside Las Vegas trying to eat and get there by 7.30 is a bit much. Not everyone is a Jackrabbitt

The Bad - If you know the exact number of how many people are registered specially 3) Cars, how do you not come to the event with that number of packages?

I had fun regardless of anything but if you ask for what can be done to improve the next time... here you go

Carl,

1) The track lunch should have been $25 each day. If you participated in the poker run and/or scav hunt the cost was more.

2) Understand the distance to the track but Spring Mountain is where it is but we hear you and others about the distance.

3) Not sure I'm following on this, did you not receive something you paid for?

Steve

2) Understand the distance to the track but Spring Mountain is where it is but we hear you and others about the distance.

Steve, is the track at the south end (where the new C&C is) a possible alternative? Spring Mountain is so much fun though!

I had a great time. Can't wait to go back. Vegas is always fun.

A few items I'd change

Hotel on strip would be nice. I don't play Bingo so not interested.

I love Spring Mountain but the short configuration we were on was so short I'd get my GT into 3rd gear for a few seconds on back straight.

I'd really prefer a longer configuration.

The dinner at Shelby museum was AWESOME!!!!

Here I am w Danny Koker & my Grid Girls the Hubbell Bubbles. They had fun too.

post-47455-0-01376200-1489801243_thumb.jpg

I love Spring Mountain but the short configuration we were on was so short I'd get my GT into 3rd gear for a few seconds on back straight.

HUBBSTER-

Hopefully someone invited you to join us in June at Summit Point, WV for the Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals. Summit Point Main is a 10-turn, 2.0-mile (3.2 km) road course that features a 2,900-foot (880 m) main straight. That ought to get your motor revving!

Z-man

Steve, is the track at the south end (where the new C&C is) a possible alternative? Spring Mountain is so much fun though!

Tony, I believe Speed Vegas has been discussed but don't forget availability & cost are big factors in deciding which track to use.

Steve

Steven

The Good

• The activities were great, although for some reason I expected to see more vendors and/or technical demonstrations at some point. Not sure if this has been tried in the past

• I wish there were inclusive packages for non-track participants.
  • Running out of food at the track sucked, as by the time the BBQ came out for the second group, the first group was gone and we never were able to catch up for the ride along the strip.
  • Some of the events and auctions were planned as fundraisers so it would be nice to know how much money was raised over the weekend.

The CSF fund raising was very successful. The donation total is still being tabulated and will be announced

What about proposing a later date for the event. I personally would have a better shot at attending if it was held in April.

Weather starts to get hotter and as our activities are all outside this changes the comfort level for all

The Speedvegas track is too small.

Everyone loves Spring Mountain. It is one of the finest facilities anywhere.

If the drive is too much, rent a condo at the track for Thursday and Friday

What about proposing a later date for the event. I personally would have a better shot at attending if it was held in April.

Understand your position and although the weather in Vegas is still quite nice in April the biggest problem is scheduling conflicts. Once April hits we are at the start of car show season and are already on the road heading to Florida and continue to criss-cross the Country until October when we're back home in Vegas for Barrett-Jackson and then SEMA.

At least we've gotten away from the 2nd week in January Bashes as those were brutal all around.

Steve

So my umbrella comment for everything is that this was by far the best of the 4 different Bash's I have attended. Track was great, social events were of the highest caliber, guest appearances were awesome.

That being said, my hopefully helpful comments for future consideration:

LA event - I miss the days when we took the back roads on the Run to Shelby Bash. I know there is a lot involved with the pre-party in LA, but I wish we could avoid city traffic and highways. Petersen museum was amazing, but just a tough location to get 100 cars out of, through town and trying to stay together. Calico was awesome! Would have loved to have more time there.

Hotel - perfect location in relation to Shelby American, the road that leads to Spring Mountain, and on same side of town as Speed Vegas. Parking garage was a good hike from the hotel, but I needed the exercise.

Social events - super nice and classy, something I am not use to. Food and drink were great, entertainment was very fun. I would like to have had all the cars involved more. Spectacular venues, but all of the beautiful cars were no where to be seen. I really enjoyed the past events when we had burgers and dogs and live band outside with all the cars. Agree with earlier comments on availability of bars to keep the line shorter. Space and event staff are always a tough constraint.

Track traffic - the paddock was way over crowded with vehicles that did not need to be there. Other than the actual track cars and the trucks/trailers, there was no reason to have so many non-participants, mini-vans and SUVs driving through the paddock, parking next to someone's gear. There should be a designated parking area for "tourists" that come to the track. I had heard there was a little bit of confusion and congestion when the Poker run group arrived, but there was plenty of other unnecessary traffic apart from that group.

Staff - Not enough can be said as to how much hard work went into to planning and executing the event. All the TS staff and volunteers were so friendly and helpful. Even when there was an issue with my registration, Tracey and Laura were all over it and had me squared away within just a couple minutes. I would have enjoyed having the opportunity to chat with more of the Shelby American folks, like sales team and parts folks at the social events. I was fortunate to catch Gary and Vince for a quick chat, but they are obviously busy and have plenty of folks that want to talk with them also. I had a great conversation with Jason Harlow, Steve, Jenni, and Brianne after the car show. I am bummed I didn't get a chance to chat with Jeremy Sparkman while I was in town, considering how much I keep his phone line busy the rest of the year.

Great seeing everyone, old faces and new!

Weather starts to get hotter and as our activities are all outside this changes the comfort level for all

There is a trade off to be made for the temperatures in Vegas and the timing of weather crossing over the continental divide. These dates (when I lived in Colorado and contemplated attending) were always snowed out for me. I wouldn't even try to cross over I70 that time of year. I tried it once towing my SGT and it was very nearly a disaster. At this time of year even a few weeks makes a difference. And with the normal temps in the 70's to low 80's through the end of March that's still not too bad.

The Speedvegas track is too small.

Everyone loves Spring Mountain. It is one of the finest facilities anywhere.

If the drive is too much, rent a condo at the track for Thursday and Friday

Yes, I could see that the SpeedVegas track. In looking at aerials it also is perhaps too simple for the more advanced drivers. There is no doubt Spring Mountain is one of the best tracks for these kinds of events ANYWHERE, let alone in Vegas. The old Miller track is the only one I can think of that comes close.

I also expect that having the event be on the same weekend as NASCAR makes the track availability EASIER and that may be a deciding factor. If that is indeed the case, then why not just make the bash be NASCAR weekend? It would make it more predicable and easier for people to plan their time off etc.

Austin,

It was nice talking with you after the car show, wish we could have chatted longer but as you saw we were under a deadline cleaning up the Heritage center so all the cars could be moved back in time for the Monday morning crowds. And yes I mean crowds, we were pleasantly surprised by the number of Nascar enthusiasts who came by to see us before leaving Vegas Monday morning.

I too would like to see the return of the first night meet & greet in SAI's parking lot where we can mingle around the cars. The Silverton Banquet room was nice but too many people remained at their table which resulted in not too much mingling.

I'm in agreement with you on the Paddock area, access to that area should be more controlled.

In a nutshell everything to do with the Bash is a compromise. Some want a fancier hotel, others want a cheaper hotel. Some want a smaller & closer track, others want the biggest track available no matter how far away. Some want one type of food, others want a different type of food. Overall Tracey and her team have put together the best TS Bashes ever and yes even better than the first Bash when you consider the monetary constraints her team is under.

Steve

So my umbrella comment for everything is that this was by far the best of the 4 different Bash's I have attended. Track was great, social events were of the highest caliber, guest appearances were awesome.

That being said, my hopefully helpful comments for future consideration:

LA event - I miss the days when we took the back roads on the Run to Shelby Bash. I know there is a lot involved with the pre-party in LA, but I wish we could avoid city traffic and highways. Petersen museum was amazing, but just a tough location to get 100 cars out of, through town and trying to stay together. Calico was awesome! Would have loved to have more time there.

Hotel - perfect location in relation to Shelby American, the road that leads to Spring Mountain, and on same side of town as Speed Vegas. Parking garage was a good hike from the hotel, but I needed the exercise.

Social events - super nice and classy, something I am not use to. Food and drink were great, entertainment was very fun. I would like to have had all the cars involved more. Spectacular venues, but all of the beautiful cars were no where to be seen. I really enjoyed the past events when we had burgers and dogs and live band outside with all the cars. Agree with earlier comments on availability of bars to keep the line shorter. Space and event staff are always a tough constraint.

Track traffic - the paddock was way over crowded with vehicles that did not need to be there. Other than the actual track cars and the trucks/trailers, there was no reason to have so many non-participants, mini-vans and SUVs driving through the paddock, parking next to someone's gear. There should be a designated parking area for "tourists" that come to the track. I had heard there was a little bit of confusion and congestion when the Poker run group arrived, but there was plenty of other unnecessary traffic apart from that group.

Staff - Not enough can be said as to how much hard work went into to planning and executing the event. All the TS staff and volunteers were so friendly and helpful. Even when there was an issue with my registration, Tracey and Laura were all over it and had me squared away within just a couple minutes. I would have enjoyed having the opportunity to chat with more of the Shelby American folks, like sales team and parts folks at the social events. I was fortunate to catch Gary and Vince for a quick chat, but they are obviously busy and have plenty of folks that want to talk with them also. I had a great conversation with Jason Harlow, Steve, Jenni, and Brianne after the car show. I am bummed I didn't get a chance to chat with Jeremy Sparkman while I was in town, considering how much I keep his phone line busy the rest of the year.

Austin,

GREAT to see you again amigo...

This BASH was epic, and I've been to all 10!

The LA (Petersen) to LV component was to replicate the same run as the first year.

Those other blasts through the desert were never an official part of the BASH, rather a pre-BASH warmup organized by the TSPCR.

Michael and I will discuss next year in the fall, right now, we are gearing up for NorCal SAAC Mini-Nats/Team Shelby West Coast Nationals in August.

Other than a few minor bumps, this years BASH was perfect, from start to finish.

Raising (or even maintaining) the bar for next year, will be a challenge, but Tracey has a great team under her.

Until next time my friend,

Motor on,

Tom

How about a meeting up in Scotsdale for the cruise to Las Vegas? I avoid LA traffic in the Shelbys at all cost.

Closer for the east coast too!

Edited by msmap

The paddock at the track was way over crowded.

Thank you for your input. The track paddock will be discussed in depth as the comments & track photos do show a problem that should have be handled right then and there.

Steve

The track paddock inputs are duly noted.

We will strive next year to do a better job of laying out and organizing the pit set up for track participants.

Thank you

Michael

This was a great Bash and I have attended 8. Staff and volunteers did a great job.

Cars under the stars reception would be nice again. Weather permitting

How about all those photos taken by photographer Steve. Maybe a photo booklet could be produced for purchase like several years ago. A portion of the proceeds could go to the CSF.

Lines for food at the Spped Vegas were Long. That may not have been helped as the same was at Shelby. However, One Line was through tables causing an issue for folks to sit. . I moved the line so folks at our table could sit down and eat. Lines needed some coordination. Deserts were cookies, cookies, cookies. Please change that. The BB-Q vendor at Speed Vegas was great IMO.

I think the Silverton is a good location related to the track, Shelby American etc. it is not so large and easy to navigate.

Nice to see the CSF being promoted as I am sure it's a challenge with CS passing. That said, CSF promote by sharing where donations are going. This will help in soliciting on-going & future donations. Non profits usually toot their horn on where donations are going and accomplishments. CSF should do the same. Yes, agree with auto-pen session if this is possible

For consideration: Any way Las Vegas finest could assist with the snakes on the strip if this is done again. It would be nice to have a coordinated staging area near the north end to start from so all Shelbys could be in one group. That said, considering the challenge without a staging area and traffic control, it went well. Heck I was in second row first pack. Just thinking if we could get some law enforcement help to get the entire group of participants together at the start of this event it could be epic and even more impressive.

Again, nicely done TS staff and volunteers.

The other option for the cruise on the strip absent traffic control by LE may be to group/form up at the south end and travel north to Sahara. That may be easier to get all together at least for the start up.

For consideration: Any way Las Vegas finest could assist with the snakes on the strip if this is done again. It would be nice to have a coordinated staging area near the north end to start from so all Shelbys could be in one group. That said, considering the challenge without a staging area and traffic control, it went well. Heck I was in second row first pack. Just thinking if we could get some law enforcement help to get the entire group of participants together at the start of this event it could be epic and even more impressive.

I got to be in the strip drives for the Barrett Jackson auctions. Note that this drive was all the way from the convention center to the Mandalay Bay, with no stops. Then BJ and Gaudin Ford switched to a Saturday AM car show at Gaudin Ford. I asked Gary Bennett why and they said the cost of all the police officers to coordinate the closing of the cross streets was just too expensive and disruptive to the strip traffic flows. I haven't head of any such events for quite some time. They do close the strip in total for some events like New Years Eve, and it's totally closed with no traffic, but no for a single "user" and especially the "rolling window" that those parades got.

Tracey and her team were extremely helpful as this was my first Bash. It was a GREAT bucket list experience. Thank you to all Bash staff. The cars were amazing, the people fun and the events were interesting. Thanks again. Steve from Seattle

I got to be in the strip drives for the Barrett Jackson auctions. Note that this drive was all the way from the convention center to the Mandalay Bay, with no stops. Then BJ and Gaudin Ford switched to a Saturday AM car show at Gaudin Ford. I asked Gary Bennett why and they said the cost of all the police officers to coordinate the closing of the cross streets was just too expensive and disruptive to the strip traffic flows. I haven't head of any such events for quite some time. They do close the strip in total for some events like New Years Eve, and it's totally closed with no traffic, but no for a single "user" and especially the "rolling window" that those parades got.

Ya, I am sure it could be expensive even just for short traffic control like funeral processions. That said, it went well on our own just lost a group due to slow traffic coming back from the track. That is why maybe starting at the south end would work at least to get the whole group all together at start up. Stop lights will surely create separate waves of cars but that's kinda cool also. This was not really part of the Bash but rather a fun add on.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.