Team Shelby
TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally got one.....CSX5169

Well after all these years I finally got one. CSX5169 is supercharged with the large brakes and roll bar. I am honored to be a part of this small group of enthusiasts that own these great cars. I lived the Series 1 days at the shop and met the customers, many of which have become friends. I got to know the car from a drawing on a piece of paper, to the prototypes and the production cars. I got to drive the cars at the track the way they were meant to be driven.....really hard. I likely have more road course miles on these cars than anyone. On a short road course they performed at an exceptional level. We regularly beat most anything that showed up at the track in anywhere close to stock form. My favorite potential customer owned a Ferrari 360, Porsche Turbo, Viper or Vette. In that time period they were easy pickings on the short tracks.....At SAAC conventions nobody could deny the performance of the Series 1.....even though they didn't like it with the Olds engine.

They are not that comfortable, seating position is odd, the top stinks, no cruise control or cup holders, interior is cheap and so is the stereo.......and none of that matters to a person that really likes a race car for the street. kinda like a Cobra. Many service items are not that hard and parts not hard to source......some things are very difficult to work on...... The Series 1 was completed by a dedicated team of people with very very limited resources.......I was proud to be a part of that team and now an owner. You should also know that Carroll was very proud of this car and the way it performed. To this day it is the only ground up Shelby.

As most of you know I continue to work at Shelby American and love the new Shelby products. The Cobra is still a monster, as is the Super Snake. The GT350 is great on the road course today and the GTS is a great performance bargin. We have some really neat stuff coming. I rarely get on the forums so if you have a specific question feel free to e-mail me. I also enjoy Super Snake number 1C and Shelby Code Red 1C....a twin turbo beast that we continually tweak. I encourage everyone to get out and drive their cars.......most of all have some damn fun!!

Congrats Gary!! I agree that the Series 1 is quite a car! I have remote control, diecasts, and other scaled versions of it. Maybe someday I will find one also. That's how I started out with the GT-H, I had Carroll sign my 1:18 diecast back when I thought that I probably would not be able own a real one.

Congratulations on the new car. Don't be such a stranger in the forums. Many of us truly enjoy your insights and your enthusiasm for all things Shelby has always been infectious.

+1

Jim

Thanks guys. Love all of the cars......At least with cars you can do that.....LOL. I would really like a Ford GT but have to work on some more income generating opportunities.....

if I had the income and garage space I would have at least one of each....but i don't. At least I have been blessed with some really cool Shelby performance cars and most of all a great group of friends.

If you know of any Series 1 guys that need something let me know. The Super Snake and GT350 guys are pretty well connected and the cars are still new enough that it is not as much of an issue as with the Series 1's.

Smile damn it.

GP

Well after all these years I finally got one. CSX5169 is supercharged with the large brakes and roll bar. I am honored to be a part of this small group of enthusiasts that own these great cars. I lived the Series 1 days at the shop and met the customers, many of which have become friends. I got to know the car from a drawing on a piece of paper, to the prototypes and the production cars. I got to drive the cars at the track the way they were meant to be driven.....really hard. I likely have more road course miles on these cars than anyone. On a short road course they performed at an exceptional level. We regularly beat most anything that showed up at the track in anywhere close to stock form. My favorite potential customer owned a Ferrari 360, Porsche Turbo, Viper or Vette. In that time period they were easy pickings on the short tracks.....At SAAC conventions nobody could deny the performance of the Series 1.....even though they didn't like it with the Olds engine.

They are not that comfortable, seating position is odd, the top stinks, no cruise control or cup holders, interior is cheap and so is the stereo.......and none of that matters to a person that really likes a race car for the street. kinda like a Cobra. Many service items are not that hard and parts not hard to source......some things are very difficult to work on...... The Series 1 was completed by a dedicated team of people with very very limited resources.......I was proud to be a part of that team and now an owner. You should also know that Carroll was very proud of this car and the way it performed. To this day it is the only ground up Shelby.

As most of you know I continue to work at Shelby American and love the new Shelby products. The Cobra is still a monster, as is the Super Snake. The GT350 is great on the road course today and the GTS is a great performance bargin. We have some really neat stuff coming. I rarely get on the forums so if you have a specific question feel free to e-mail me. I also enjoy Super Snake number 1C and Shelby Code Red 1C....a twin turbo beast that we continually tweak. I encourage everyone to get out and drive their cars.......most of all have some damn fun!!

Congrats, thats awesome... :rockon:

I wonder what his employee discount is....

How about some pix. But I see with only two posts, you're a newbie, and may not know who to post...I'm sure Rich or Jer can show you how its done... :poke:

See you soon,

Tom

Edited by Cali_KR

Hi Mr. Patterson, congrads! I will always remember you waving at all of us 12' Bashers going around the Spring Moutain track durring the perade laps on that Friday afternoon. Thank you again for the compliment regarding my Cobra jacket. I am hoping that I can make my 65' GT350 tribute trackworthy someday so I can actually go to a drivers meeting to here how its done! By the way, is your Series 1 the same color of your 69'. That must be a great feeling to be able to chose " should I drive the 69' or the Series 1?"

Thanks guys!! I just don't have much of a chance to get on fprums much. I will try to post some pictures of it next week. The Seres 1 is silver with navy blue stripes. The Super Snake is red and black like my 69' Mach 1 and Shelby Code Red is black with red stripes.....

I will bring the Series 1 home for Thanksgiving as it is spending most of it's life in the Shelby museum right now. I bought it from a great guy that I have known for many years......and since we haven't made them in many years no employee discount.....LOL. I hope all of you are burning some rubber and enjoying your cars.

Gary, did you buy the one I got to drive in Terlingua 2008? I often wonder what happened to that car, as it was pivotal in how I made connections with the "Ford Guys" as we call them, and then really developed my relationship with SA. It was that drive that took me from attendee, and turned me into an organizer. I sure would be glad to see that car go to someone I consider a good friend! What a great Xmas present, and congrats! The Series 1 was just a blast to drive, and I will never forget being lucky enough to do just that!

Now YOU go have some Damn fun! :salute:

This car on the track is unbelieveable. Just ask anyone that attended the SAAC events in 2000 -2004 or so.......Cornering and braking were exceptional and repeatable....the chassis and inboard suspension work great. This car was truly ahead of it's time. My favorite potential customer of the day drove a turbo Porsche, Vette, Viper or 360 Ferrari. They would be very competitive even today on the shorter road courses.......need more top end juice for the big speeds but on anything less than 2.5 miles or so it is big fun.....even the tighter 3 mile courses like the outside road course here is big fun. Carroll's race car for the street.......

Congrats Gary!

I'd be happy to store Code Red in my garage if you need some room for more cars.

Burning rubber as often as possible and definitely having some damn fun!

See you in April at the NYC Auto show and May in Vegas....

:salute:

I'll have to get some pictures around...... The Series 1 is not the one in Terlingua. This one was the dimensional build car and the body fit and finish are especially good. There were small manufacturing differences in this car that aided assembly that should have been in place for future builds but because the program was not going to continue much further they were never implemented. This one is supercharged with the brakes and roll bar.

The Super Snake is the red one that is in most of the original sales literature for 2007 as it was the first concept. It was also on the cover of MM&FF and tested for the issue.

Shelbly Code Red was on the cover of Mustang Monthly and is the twin turbo black concept that we never pushed forward. It was a featured car at SEMA in the entry way a couple of years ago.

My Mach 1 was my first car that I bought at age 16. So I have had it awhile. 428CJ 4 spd shaker car. Red and black. It was a featured car in Fabulous Mustangs magazine March of 1990 and titled "High school sweetheart" I also ran it at the Super Car Showdown in 1986 and it was mentioned in the Car Review magazine that year.

I have always enjoyed interesting cars and buy them because I like them. I even have an older ZR-1 Corvette because I was intrigued with the LT-5 engine.

So you can see I have been at this for awhile......My dad had bought a 65' 289 Hi Po convertible new in late 64' so that kinda got me started......Shelby is not just a job for me but a passion for cool cars. Much like many of you......

I'll have to get some pictures around...... The Series 1 is not the one in Terlingua. This one was the dimensional build car and the body fit and finish are especially good. There were small manufacturing differences in this car that aided assembly that should have been in place for future builds but because the program was not going to continue much further they were never implemented. This one is supercharged with the brakes and roll bar.

The Super Snake is the red one that is in most of the original sales literature for 2007 as it was the first concept. It was also on the cover of MM&FF and tested for the issue.

Shelbly Code Red was on the cover of Mustang Monthly and is the twin turbo black concept that we never pushed forward. It was a featured car at SEMA in the entry way a couple of years ago.

My Mach 1 was my first car that I bought at age 16. So I have had it awhile. 428CJ 4 spd shaker car. Red and black. It was a featured car in Fabulous Mustangs magazine March of 1990 and titled "High school sweetheart" I also ran it at the Super Car Showdown in 1986 and it was mentioned in the Car Review magazine that year.

I have always enjoyed interesting cars and buy them because I like them. I even have an older ZR-1 Corvette because I was intrigued with the LT-5 engine.

So you can see I have been at this for awhile......My dad had bought a 65' 289 Hi Po convertible new in late 64' so that kinda got me started......Shelby is not just a job for me but a passion for cool cars. Much like many of you......

Very interesting Gary......post some pictures whenever you have a chance.....

Jorge